The group’s worst chart position was #72 after some stores sold a few copies of It’s The Way You Make Me Feel before the official release date. The song charted at #2 the following week.
One headline-making moment was when Steps performed Deeper Shade Of Blue on CBBC’s Blue Peter – and actually sang live!
And who could forget the excitement in July 2011 when GenSTEPS exclusively revealed that Steps had reunited – returning to the top of the charts with their #1 Ultimate Collection album.
The Steps split
The news of Steps’ split broke unexpectedly on Boxing Day – 26 December 2001 – just days after the group had finished its Gold Greatest Hits tour. That morning, BBC News had published an article hinting at Steps’ future plans, but later that day it was revealed the band had split.
Officially, the band did not want to “gradually decline”, but tabloid newspapers quickly revealed that H and Claire had quit due to divisions in the group. While H and Claire initially denied the press reports, the stories turned out to be largely accurate. The pair confirmed in January 2002 that there had been a ‘rift’ in the band.
Faye was the first to announce a solo project in January. Rumours emerged that Lisa and H were forming a pop duo. Exactly a month after the Steps split, H and Claire announced on CDUK that they had paired up to record more music. The same morning, Lisa posted online that she was launching a solo career.
Most recent posts
- Hard 2 Forget premieres tomorrow!The new Steps track Hard 2 Forget will be played for the first time on the Radio 2 breakfast show with Zoe Ball, on Thursday 7 July at 8.40am. The music video will also premiere on Thursday, at 1.30pm on the official Steps YouTube channel.
- Get with the programme!We’ve added a new merchandise section to GenSTEPS and we’re pleased to announce you can now see photographs of all old Steps tour programmes – inside and out! – in our merchandise gallery. We’ll add What The Future Holds later – but while the merch is still current and on sale we can’t share pictures.
- One For Sorrow video remastered in true HDThe music video for One For Sorrow has been remastered in true high definition. The music video rushes were rescanned from the original 16mm film to create a genuine high definition copy of the iconic video, which has been uploaded to YouTube for the first time on the band’s official channel. ✨ The music video […]
- Steps perform on ITV’s Jubilee showSteps performed on ITV’s Jubilee celebration show broadcast today. They performed a megamix of their greatest hits with backing from a live band. The mix included What The Future Holds, Scared Of The Dark, Stomp, Deeper Shade Of Blue and Tragedy. Sadly Lee was not present due to Covid. The performance was recorded on Thursday […]
- Platinum Collection interview round-upSteps have done a bunch of interviews to launch the Platinum Collection album. Here are some of them. From the Official Charts Company: On November 10 1997 Lisa Scott-Lee, Faye Tozer, Ian ‘H’ Watkins, Lee Latchford-Evans and Claire Richards burst onto the pop scene with their utterly bonkers, techno-pop-meets-country classic 5, 6, 7, 8. It […]