The group’s worst chart position was #72 after some stores sold a few copies of It’s The Way You Make Me Feel before the official release date. The song charted at #2 the following week.
One headline-making moment was when Steps performed Deeper Shade Of Blue on CBBC’s Blue Peter – and actually sang live!
And who could forget the excitement in July 2011 when GenSTEPS exclusively revealed that Steps had reunited – returning to the top of the charts with their #1 Ultimate Collection album.
The Steps split
The news of Steps’ split broke unexpectedly on Boxing Day – 26 December 2001 – just days after the group had finished its Gold Greatest Hits tour. That morning, BBC News had published an article hinting at Steps’ future plans, but later that day it was revealed the band had split.
Officially, the band did not want to “gradually decline”, but tabloid newspapers quickly revealed that H and Claire had quit due to divisions in the group. While H and Claire initially denied the press reports, the stories turned out to be largely accurate. The pair confirmed in January 2002 that there had been a ‘rift’ in the band.
Faye was the first to announce a solo project in January. Rumours emerged that Lisa and H were forming a pop duo. Exactly a month after the Steps split, H and Claire announced on CDUK that they had paired up to record more music. The same morning, Lisa posted online that she was launching a solo career.
Most recent posts
- Claire reveals second solo album EuphoriaClaire Richards has released a surprise single – a cover version of Celine Dion’s I Surrender, which Claire performed on the Steps Ultimate Tour in 2011. The song will be featured on Claire’s second solo album, a collection of cover songs and duets. The album will be called Euphoria after the hit by Eurovision winner […]
- Words Are Not Enough directors share their memoriesWords Are Not Enough has been remastered and upscaled to HD on the official Steps YouTube channel, to celebrate the band’s 25th anniversary. To celebrate this iconic video, directors Aron Baxter and Thrain Shadbolt have shared their memories of making the video. They spoke to reporter Chris Fox via video call. CHRIS FOX: How did […]
- Platinum Collection tops the chartsIncredible news in Steps world today: the Platinum Collection has topped the albums chart in the UK! Steps have now had a number one album in four consecutive decades, a stunning achievement. Huge congratulations to the band and the teams at Sony Music and Fascination. Speaking exclusively to OfficialCharts.com, Steps said: “We could NOT be […]
- Platinum Collection is out now!Merry Steps Platinum Collection Release Day to all those who celebrate! The album is out now and available as a digital download and on streaming. We’ve posted the full lyrics to The Runner and we’ll be updating the discography shortly. The digital download on the Steps official store contains a platform-exclusive track: After The Love […]
- Hard 2 Forget premieres tomorrow!The new Steps track Hard 2 Forget will be played for the first time on the Radio 2 breakfast show with Zoe Ball, on Thursday 7 July at 8.40am. The music video will also premiere on Thursday, at 1.30pm on the official Steps YouTube channel.