The group’s worst chart position was #72 after some stores sold a few copies of It’s The Way You Make Me Feel before the official release date. The song charted at #2 the following week.
One headline-making moment was when Steps performed Deeper Shade Of Blue on CBBC’s Blue Peter – and actually sang live!
And who could forget the excitement in July 2011 when GenSTEPS exclusively revealed that Steps had reunited – returning to the top of the charts with their #1 Ultimate Collection album.
The Steps split
The news of Steps’ split broke unexpectedly on Boxing Day – 26 December 2001 – just days after the group had finished its Gold Greatest Hits tour. That morning, BBC News had published an article hinting at Steps’ future plans, but later that day it was revealed the band had split.
Officially, the band did not want to “gradually decline”, but tabloid newspapers quickly revealed that H and Claire had quit due to divisions in the group. While H and Claire initially denied the press reports, the stories turned out to be largely accurate. The pair confirmed in January 2002 that there had been a ‘rift’ in the band.
Faye was the first to announce a solo project in January. Rumours emerged that Lisa and H were forming a pop duo. Exactly a month after the Steps split, H and Claire announced on CDUK that they had paired up to record more music. The same morning, Lisa posted online that she was launching a solo career.
Most recent posts
- Faye tests positive for Covid-19, will miss tour datesSteps’ official Twitter account has confirmed that Faye has tested positive for Covid-19 and will miss tour dates until she is allowed out of self-isolation. An update on tonight's show. #WTFHTour pic.twitter.com/fBrIFs8yhw — Steps (@OfficialSteps) November 19, 2021
- What The Future Holds Pt.2 is #2 in the UK!Steps’ new album What The Future Holds Pt.2 has reached #2 in the official UK album chart, selling about 25,000 copies. Steps were beaten to the #1 spot by the Manic Street Preachers who sold 27,000 albums – mirroring the album battle in 1998 that kept Step One from the top spot. In an Instagram […]
- Steps interviewed by The Official Charts CompanySteps have been interviewed by The Official Charts Company. Here’s the piece: This is the first time you’ve created a sequel to one of your albums. What made you want to give What The Future Holds a follow-up? Claire: “Originally we were planning [to just have a deluxe version] of the album. And when we […]
- What The Future Holds Pt 2 is out now!At midnight, Steps released their new album What The Future Holds Pt. 2. On Thursday, Claire and H appeared on the BBC’s The One Show from the studios in London – and this morning (Friday) the whole group will appear on BBC Breakfast from the studios in Salford. The album is currently sitting at #1 […]
- Steps to appear on Drag Race UKThe BBC has confirmed Steps will appear as guests on series three of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK. The group, minus Lisa who was in Dubai when the episode was filmed, appear as celebrity “mentors” to give advice to the competing queens as part of the girl band challenge. Lisa’s absence is acknowledged but she does […]