The group’s worst chart position was #72 after some stores sold a few copies of It’s The Way You Make Me Feel before the official release date. The song charted at #2 the following week.
One headline-making moment was when Steps performed Deeper Shade Of Blue on CBBC’s Blue Peter – and actually sang live!
And who could forget the excitement in July 2011 when GenSTEPS exclusively revealed that Steps had reunited – returning to the top of the charts with their #1 Ultimate Collection album.
The Steps split
The news of Steps’ split broke unexpectedly on Boxing Day – 26 December 2001 – just days after the group had finished its Gold Greatest Hits tour. That morning, BBC News had published an article hinting at Steps’ future plans, but later that day it was revealed the band had split.
Officially, the band did not want to “gradually decline”, but tabloid newspapers quickly revealed that H and Claire had quit due to divisions in the group. While H and Claire initially denied the press reports, the stories turned out to be largely accurate. The pair confirmed in January 2002 that there had been a ‘rift’ in the band.
Faye was the first to announce a solo project in January. Rumours emerged that Lisa and H were forming a pop duo. Exactly a month after the Steps split, H and Claire announced on CDUK that they had paired up to record more music. The same morning, Lisa posted online that she was launching a solo career.
Most recent posts
- Take Me For A Ride is next singleSteps have announced on social media that Take Me For A Ride will be the first single from their new album What The Future Holds Part. 2. The song will debut on BBC Radio 2 on Thursday 29 July 2021 and be available on streaming and download sites shortly after.
- Heartbreak In This City video – and new album!Steps have premiered their new video for Heartbreak In This City featuring Michelle Visage – and at the same time have revealed they will release a new album called What The Future Holds Part 2 on 10 September 2021! Describing some of the new music, Ian ‘H’ Watkins said track Take Me For A Ride […]
- To The Beat Of My Heart video out nowSteps have premiered a new video for To The Beat Of My Heart. It’s not a full music video this time around. Instead, they’re billing it as a “lyric video” with shots of the band playing on arcade machines in Blackpool’s Coral Island with some of the song’s lyrics animated on top.
- EXCLUSIVE: Steps director David Amphlett chats to GenSTEPSTo celebrate 20 years since the release of It’s The Way You Make Me Feel, we called up legendary Steps director David Amphlett who was behind its iconic music video. In total, David directed seven classic Steps videos including One For Sorrow, Heartbeat and Stomp. He spoke to reporter Chris Fox via video call. CHRIS […]
- To The Beat Of My Heart is next Steps singleClaire has confirmed on Twitter that the third single from the What The Future Holds album will be To The Beat Of My Heart.